Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 20 December 2007

Winter is definitely here this morning...I am freezing! Our Aga is being serviced again this morning - I am getting a bit worried about whether we will actually be able to cook a turkey this year - fingers crossed that it will get fixed this time. So it is cold and I would rather be under a quilt, but that said, I would not change the views in our garden this morning for anything. It looked like a winter wonderland. My wonderful hens are miraculously still laying despite the dusting of snow in their pen this morning - I am convinced the porridge is doing the trick and am wondering whether it would be prudent to serve them some warm carrots for lunch! A bullfinch also came to visit outside my office window this morning and stayed for ages!

5 comments:

Celia Hart said...

You've certainly captured today's weather in your photos!

Well done your hens! I think hybrids do sometimes lay through their first winter - what troopers!!!! Our's are still laying, but not every day. They probably apreciate the porridge on a cold morning (as we do!). I put a max-min thermometer inside the ark, under the perches, and this morning the minimum was -4C !

I hope Aga-man fixes things and gets your Christmas Cook-fest on the road!!!

Celia
x

Robbiegirl said...

Love the bullfinch, I was thrilled that we had a pair here last weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah

I have really enjoyed reading your blog this year. Your snowy garden looks lovely and very Christmassy. Have a good one!

Best wishes
Heather

Milhan said...

Those photos are so beautiful...and I am so jealous :) Suburban NJ looks nothing like that!

I loved the bullfinch photo, though I am partial to cardinals myself.

Thank you for sharing!

Milhan

Marie Rayner said...

I have never seen a bull finch Hannah, and now thanks to your beautiful picture I have. I loved all your wintery photos. You have captured the past week so very well. Hasn't it been cold! Dare I hope for a white Christmas? I have my fingers crossed!!! It's certainly been a frosty one so far!