Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 4 December 2007

Mince pies - Two Ways
Makes 12

500grams shortcrust pastry
flour for dusting
1 jar of mincemeat
Filling 1 - Lemon Mascapone pies
2 tbsp mascapone cheese
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Filling 2 - Ginger pies
2 preserved gingers, finely chopped
1 tbsp stem ginger syrup
1 tbsp ginger wine
Milk for glazing
Icing sugar for dusting

Roll your pastry out thinly, sprinkle with flour to ensure that it doesn't stick and cut out 12 circles, approximately 3 inches in diameter. Grease a bun tin with butter and press the circles gently in each hole. For lemon mascapone pies, add a teaspoon of mincemeat to each pie and top with half a teaspoon of mascapone cheese and a small amount of zest. For the ginger mince pies, mix 3 tbsp of the mincemeat in a bowl with the preserve ginger, syrup and wine. Place a small spoonful in each pie. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut 12 x 2 inch circles or stars or flowers! Top each pie with a small circle and then brush with the milk to glaze. Bake in a moderate oven Gas Mark 5/180oC/Aga roasting oven below a cold shelf for 10 - 15 minutes, turning the tray half way through cooking, until golden brown. Transfer the mince pies to a cooking wrack and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm with brandy butter!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

LOVE these variations ... so it's three ways really, the "usual" the ginger and the lemon mascapone ... mmmm

Thanks for sharing
Joanna

Charlotte Hume said...

Thanks for this recipe Hannah.
Freddie was just saying today how he wanted us to make our own mincepies this Christmas - have printed this one off

Rosie said...

Lovely recipes for mince pies mmmm
Thanks for sharing them I will def be printing these off.

BTW - I'm looking forward to reading your baking ideas for Valentines Day in the Country Kitchen Magazine :)

Rosie x

Marie Rayner said...

Great ideas Hannah! I am going to give these a go!!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Gorgeous, Hannah! These are a must try, though I can't decide which I want more!