Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 12 December 2007

If like me you have lots of visitors staying over the Christmas period, there is always a dilemma of what to serve for breakfast. I try to serve something different every day but don't always have time to make waffles or cook an English Aga breakfast. If you are short of time and want to serve something yummy, make french toasts with cinnamon raisin bread (I usually have a bag of this in the freezer as standby). For 6 slices, whisk together 4 eggs and a few tablespoons of double cream or milk, a pinch of ground cinnamon and a teaspoon of caster sugar. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan and soak your cinnamon bread slices in the egg mixture for a minute (don't leave it too long otherwise the bread will go soggy) making sure that all the bread is covered with the egg mixture. Fry the bread in the butter until it is golden brown on both sides. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and a spoonful of whipped cream if you wish! What more could a girl ask for when it is below zero outside and her chicken's water is frozen!!!

8 comments:

Vida said...

Hannah, is there room for one more??? Vida x x x

Celia Hart said...

Yum! how Christmassy!

I'm just thawing out my fingers after sorting out the hens drinker! It's cold out there!

Celia
x

Hannah said...

Alas Vida we are already full to bursting as my brother is bringing his new girlfriend over from America! I have no idea where everyone is going to sleep but will worry about that next week when I am off work. Hope that you and all your girls have a lovely Christmas

Celia - I know the feeling! I just took my hens a warm mince pie just out of the oven to try and warm them up. Is this is sign I love them a little too much perhaps?! Luckily they are still laying - it must be the large quantities of porridge I am feeding them!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,

I can't wait for my Aga breafast. I am lying in bed in Mexico City. Work is now all done all we have to do is prepare a final report. Four more sleeps and i'l be back in the UK.

I have eaten some very odd Mexican thing over the last few weeks - tacos with brains, tacos with tongue, tacos with eye muscle. I tried pickled pig's trotter but that was simply too much for me.

I have also drunk some weird things too - beer with salt, lime and tabasco sauce added (disgusting) and some fermented cactus juice that people suck out of the plants and spit into big buckets.The cactus juice was the worse thing i have ever tasted - amy almost threw up in the bar. I only found out how it was made the day after when the clients started laughing when i told then about it.

Ohhhhh how i long for a bacon sandwich with both brown and red sauce.

Until Sunday

G xx

Anonymous said...

What on earth is an English Aga breakfast?

Marie Rayner said...

Lovely French Toast Hannah! I love cooking on the AGA at work. I wish I had one here at the cottage. Oh well, maybe one day. It's always nice to have a dream!

Vida said...

How exciting to meet your brother's girlfriend for the first time, this will be a wonderful Christmas for you. You will find room for everyone, the more the merry, it makes for a fun time. As for me maybe next year Hannah, maybe one day we shall meet and eat together! Vida x x x

Milhan said...

Oh my, that looks simply amazing! We love raisin bread, we love whipped cream and we love real maple syrup - sounds like a match made in heaven for my family...thank you :)