Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 6 December 2007

I collect many things - baskets, jugs, teapots, samplers, picnic hampers...to name but a few! Our house could legitimately be called cluttered! My favourite collection is my walking stick basket collection, pictured here leaning against our pantry cupboard, which are perfect for collecting things from the hedgerows on country walks. I do not find sticks with baskets very often and my collection totals only three so far (which is probably already more than we need). My mum is also an avid collector - particularly of jelly moulds - and I have used one of hers this morning for my Country Kitchen recipe - a rhubarb and custard jelly - which is looking pretty with its pink and yellow layers as it cools in the fridge. I do hope it will turn out of the mould in one piece when the photographer comes later today!

So what lovely collections do you have? And how many collections are too many?! Can a girl ever have enough wicker baskets?

15 comments:

Vida said...

Hannah, I have never seen a walking stick basket but I LOVE the idea... I also LOVE jelly moulds and bought a couple whilst I was in England last. I used to collect copper pans etc. but that was in my last kitchen which was French provincial but with the move to an apartment that is all but gone. I think cook books, yes that is probably what I can term as a collection... Vida x

Catofstripes said...

hi Hannah,

I appear to collect mice. I've had eight in the humane mouse trap in the last two days and there are still more to come.

Your blog is one I read nearly every day, so keep up the good work.

Celia Hart said...

Like your cottage, our house could be described as cluttered (with useful things!). I can't resist buying baskets (but haven't any attached to walking sticks). My favourites are my Gran's shopping basket, a lovely apple basket bought in Poland and my latest purchase - a cute little blackberry picking basket made by a local basket weaver in the fens. The studio assistants like baskets too!

Celia

Milhan said...

I love baskets too...but a certain person that also lives here says I cannot have anymore (that's what he thinks!).

I also love wooden ducks, and always keep a look out for them when we go to flea markets and antiques malls.

Rosie said...

Oh I do love this wicker walking stick basket. Every girl has to have a collection of some sort lol Mine just happens to be cookery books hahaha.....

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of or seen a walking stick basket! How clever!
Happy Holidays to you and yours, Hannah :)

Marie Rayner said...

wonderful collections Hannah! I have never heard of walking stick baskets before! What a sheltered life I have led! I have long been a collector of cream and sugar dishes, old cookie jars and salt and pepper shakers . . . oh . . . and fairies! Wait, I also collect Gingerbread men! and lets not forget dust . . .

I managed to catch you on the telly yesterday at work. Well done!

Hannah said...

Thank you all for your lovely posts - so nice to hear about all your collections and I can believe how few of you have heard of walking stick baskets!!! Definitely a must have possession!

And boo to other halves who put a stop to buying more baskets - this is a problem I suffer from. I have to sneak them in when he is not here!

Have a lovely weekend all of you

Hannah said...

Thank you all for your lovely posts - so nice to hear about all your collections and I can believe how few of you have heard of walking stick baskets!!! Definitely a must have possession!

And boo to other halves who put a stop to buying more baskets - this is a problem I suffer from. I have to sneak them in when he is not here!

Have a lovely weekend all of you

Hannah said...

Obviously I meant to type can't not can in my post! Sorry just goes to show that it is best not to rush!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

I'll bet your cottage is so lovely! I collected My Little Ponies when I was little. A LOT of ponies - Britain and the US had different ones, so my sister and I had a massive, bicontinental assortment.
Now I collect local recipes when I travel, antique German chocolate molds I use to make papier mache Christmas ornaments, and my wedding china. It seemed romantic at the time, but I unfortunately chose a very posh pattern, so I may or may not be able to seat 6 guests in 20 years or so ; )

Pilar - Lechuza said...

Hannah, I've been visiting you since I first read your blog. My collection is of OWLS. I have all types of owls: owl baskets, towels, earrings, rings, and two display cabinets full of them.

Even my cooking blog has owls. Have I gone crazy????

Kisses from Spain

Anonymous said...

Bookmarks !!!! Not very cooking is it ?

Anonymous said...

I collect husbands... currently on number 5 (I've had a few with walking sticks attached) :D

jenny said...

Teapots. I'm quietly gathering a collection of lovely teapots - 6 so far... And there are lots of really cute '1 cup' pots out there at the moment! Ooh, the temptation... but oh, the lack of storage space... That tends to curb the collecting habit a bit!