Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 30 June 2009

On Sunday we celebrated my Mum's birthday and had a lovely lunch at Flitwick Manor. My brother was visiting from New York which made the day perfect (I am biased as he bought me a giant parcel of cake decorations from Fancy Flours and Alice in Wonderland Hats for our tea party). My Mum has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and therefore told me that she absolutely didn't want a cake. Of course I completely disregarded this, but was cunning and made her a flower "cake" on oasis! Not an ounce of sugar, butter or flour in sight but just as much fun as a real cake. I think it took me longer to decorate this that it would have to ice a cake and the cake ended up being far bigger than I expected. I love the picture of Gareth carrying it over to my Mum - it looks ENORMOUS!!!!! My little birthday candles had to be replaced with dinner table candles so that they looked in proportion. Happy Birthday Mum xxx

6 comments:

Katie said...

What a thoughtful way of still giving your mum a wonderful birthday "cake" I bet she was delighted

Marie Rayner said...

Happy Birthday to your mum! I am sure she was just thrilled with your "cake!" I know I would have been!

Rita said...

How beautiful! You are amazing Hannah! Happy Birthday to your mother!

The Ample Cook said...

What a lovely thing to do for your mum's birthday. It looks as stunning as all your cakes do.

Teena Vallerine said...

Oh my! A cake that really does look too good to eat! Who would have thought it possible! What a kind and clever solution to the issue of no cake! Did she manage to blow out the candles though?! t.x

I heart cupcakes said...

The cake is stunning!