Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 3 June 2009

I am just back from a wonderful long weekend in Vienna. My lovely German friend Maren had organised the trip and we rendezvous'd at Vienna airport. With a visit to the ballet Romeo and Juliet at the Royal Opera House, a performance by the Spanish Riding School, a ride in a pony and trap around the town and a Mozart concert, it was certainly a whirlwind packed weekend. However the main purpose of the trip with was sample all the wonderful Austrian cakes. My favourite bakery (and there are literally hundreds to choose from) was Demel - the confectionners for the Royal household - founded in 1786. The shop and cafe was steeped in baking history, with vintage cake tins and moulds. We loved it so much that we managed 4 visits in 48 hours - impressive even by my standards!! If you go, take a seat in the cafe at the back of the shop as you can sit and watch the bakers working through the large glass windows. These are some of their wonderful cakes - my favourite was the GIANT pistachio macaroon. How yummy would that be to eat! Their sugar decorations were impressive too and we loved the sugar Eiffel Tower with tennis ball made to celebrate this weeks tournament at Roland Garros.

6 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Ooooooo! I luuuuuuuuv that cake that looks as if it's falling over!

What a great treat!

Celia
x

Teena Vallerine said...

Loving that giant green macaroon! What a treat you had! Opera and cakes. Perfect! t.x

red ribbon bakery said...

We all know that cake baking is not easy,it needs a talent to do a perfect cake.Want to see more design of cake.

-Ava

Rita said...

Those bakeries where you can sit and see the fantastic display of cakes and pastries are just fantastic! Amazing wedding cakes ... wow! I'm back and will send the snails soon!

The Ample Cook said...

The displays are mind blowing. Lovely photos Hannah.

Marie Rayner said...

How wonderful Hannah. I have always wanted to go to Austria! Perhaps one day I will get a chance to do just that!