Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Nectarine and Vanilla Jam

Makes 2 small jars

400g/14oz ripe nectarines, chopped and stones removed

400g/14oz preserving sugar

1 vanilla pod, split lengthways

Juice of 1 lemon

2 tsp butter


Place the chopped nectarines, sugar, vanilla pod and lemon juice in a saucepan with 200ml of water and simmer until the fruit is soft. Pulp the fruit using a metal hand blender or a masher and then bring to the boil. Boil the jam until setting point is reached and the jam is thick and syrupy, stirring to ensure it does not burn. To test for set, either use a jam thermometer or place a saucer in the freezer to chill and then drop a little jam onto it and leave to cool for a few minutes. If a film forms forms and the jam wrinkles when you press with your finger, the setting point has been reached. Add the butter to the pan and stir until melted, then decant the jam into sterilised jars, seal and store in a cool dark place. The jam will keep for about one year but once opened, must be store in the refrigerator and used within a month.

8 comments:

Catofstripes said...

Hi Hannah,

That looks like a lovely jam. I make quite a lot of jams but I've never come across a recipe that takes a little butter as this one does. Is there a reason for it or does it just taste nice?

Hannah said...

Hello Catofstripes - I always add a little butter at the end of making jam - it makes the jam nice and shiny and reduces and foam or bubbles and gives a buttery taste. If you prefer, you could omit the butter!
Thanks
Hannah
xxx

Rita said...

Yum.... will make it soon! Thanks Hannah!

Heatherfeather said...

Hannah this sounds amazing. What a nice combination of flavors.

Andrea said...

Hannah that sounds lovely. Just one small question - did you remove the nectarine skins?

Hannah said...

Andrea - I didn't remove the skins. I do when I make peach jam as the skin is quite tough but the nectarine skin is thinner and I quite like the bits it adds to the jam. If you wanted to you could remove the skins - simply blanche the nectarines in boiling water for a few minutes and then peel the skins away when cool enough to handle. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah

This jam sounds lovely! I have everything except preserving sugar - I only have normal - do you think it will still set? I am happy with a soft set as I think it will get used up rather quickly with a variety of desserts....

Hannah said...

Hi Anonymous
It should be fine with normal sugar - the preserving sugar is just needed for the added pectin which will help to set the jam but if you are happy to have it runny I am sure normal sugar will work fine

Hannah
xx