Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 25 April 2007

Ginger and rhubarb are an excellent combination and really compliment each other well. I love to make rhubarb and ginger creme brulee and rhubarb and ginger cake. Here is a recipe for the rhubarb and ginger crumble that was served as one of the desserts on Friday night. I know that crumble is really simple, but you just can't beat it served with custard or cream. The topping on this one is really scrummy!

Rhubarb and ginger crumble

100 grams plain flour

100 grams butter

100 grams caster sugar

100 grams ginger biscuits, crumbed

800grams stewed rhubarb

2 tsp ground ginger

3 tbsp brown sugar

Rub the butter into the flour to form a breadcrumb texture. Mix in the sugar and the ginger biscuit crumbs. Place the stewed rhubarb (you could substitute for stewed apples, plums or cherries) in an oven proof dish, stir in the brown sugar and the ginger and cover with the crumble topping. Bake in a moderate oven 180oC/Gas Mark 5/Aga top oven bottom shelf with approx 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! SLightly differnt than my rhubarb crumble that I posted the other day...funny that was a ginger rhubarb crumble too! Great minds must think alike! The hint of ginger in mine came from using grated fresh gingerroot and gingerale. Probably not quite authentic I know, but mighty delicious regardless. Rhubarb, my favourite fruit!

Rowan said...

This sounds wonderful,I hadn't thought of using gingerr biscuits though I do usually add ginger spice to my crumble mixture for rhubarb.

Culinary Cowgirl said...

This looks great...I have a thing for ginger biscuits.

First time I've been to your blog...found it through A Slice of Cherry Pie. So happy though, since I watched you on Masterchef and really admired your style of cooking.