Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 22 September 2009

Crabapple and Rose Jelly
Makes 4 jars
450g/1 lb rosehips
900g/2lb crabapples, quartered (no need to peel)
juice of 1 large lemon
800g/1 3/4 lb preserving sugar
1 tsp rosewater

Place the rosehips in a jam pan or large saucepan and cover with 2 litres of water. Simmer for 30 minutes and then add the crabapple quarters and lemon and simmer until the apple is pulpy, adding a little more water if necessary. Spoon the mixture into a jellybag and leave to strain (mine took about 3 hours). Return the liquid to the pan (you should have about 1 1/2 litres of liquid) and add the sugar. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved and then boil until the setting point is reached. To test for set put a saucer in the freezer until very cold then drop a few drops of jelly onto the saucer. If the top wrinkles when you push with your finger the setting point is reached. Stir in the rosewater and then pour into sterilized jam jars and seal. This is lovely on toast or with lamb. Jelly should be of a softer consistency than jam and have a perfect wobble!

1 comment:

The Curious Cat said...

I've been wanting to make this for a while! Thanks for sharing the recipe! xxx