Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 10 February 2009

It seems like a long time ago now but the weekend before last I visit my German friend Maren together with my friend Tina in Hamburg and we went on a trip to Berlin. This was the start of the snow and it was bitterly cold - we managed a trip to the Reichtstag and the Brandedburg Gate and then had a very long leisurely lunch with Schnitzle and Kaiserschmaren - Emporer Pancakes (fluffly butter pancakes) with poached plums - soooo delicious - for anyone wanting to try there is a recipe here. The new dome on the Reichtstag was made by none other than our own Gherkin designer, Norman Foster. The dome contains a spiral runway so that you can walk up to the top. It is free to go in and definitely worth queuing - even in the snow.
























3 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Looks like it was an even colder day than when we queued! but that was August and we weren't dressed up so snugly!

The plums and dumplings sound so yummy - did you find out how to make them?

Celia
x

Lucy said...

That sounds like a lovely trip - made even more magical looking by the snow! I can imagine how the plums were perfect after the cold :D

Sylvie said...

Hannah, did you have your schnitzel and kaiserschmarrn in the Kellerrestaurant at the Brecht Haus? That's exactly what I had there a couple of weeks ago!