Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 15 January 2009

Venison, Chorizo and Truffle Ragu


Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and thinely sliced
salt and pepper (I used truffle salt)
125g cubed pancetta
300g venison sausages
100g chorizo picante, skinned and chopped into small pieces
200g mini plum tomatoes, halved
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
250ml red wine
1 dessertspoon truffle paste or a drizzle of truffle oil
parmesan and tagliatelli pasta to serve

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and onion over a gentle heat until soft and translucent. Remove the sausages from their skins, cut into small pieces and add to the pan together with the pancetta and chopped chorizo. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until the meat has cooked through and the chorizo has released its oil. Add the wine, vinegar and tomatoes and leave to simmer on a gentle heat for 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and stir through the truffle paste or drizzle with a little truffle oil. Stir the ragu through cooked pasta and serve with freshly grated parmesan.

3 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This sounds really interesting Hannah. I've never actually tried venison sausages!

Sylvie said...

That sounds like a great recipe, Hannah. I haven't had venison in ages. It's about time I did again!

Marie Rayner said...

That looks really tasty Hannah, and just perfect for these cold winter nights!