Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 31 July 2008

Watermelon Ribs

I recently made Watermelon marinaded ribs with a recipes from Jared Ingersoll. His book Sharing Plates is awesome and a lovely read. Penny Williams, the chef who ran the cookery school in Bali had worked with him and if her cooking was anything to go by, this book definitely had to be a winner. It is!
In the book Jared makes beef ribs with watermelon which are smoked. I am sadly not into smoking - I wish I was but have never had time to investigate this process properly. It is on my list of things to learn! Instead I adapted the recipe and made pork ribs roasted in the oven. Although I am sure that by smoking the flavour of these ribs would be even better, there were nevertheless delicious and you could actually taste the watermelon! Fruity and juicy - we will definitely be making these again!
Watermelon Pork Ribs
flesh of half watermelon, seeds removed and crushed with a fork
3 dried chillies, crushed
1 tsp ground allspice
1 stick cinnamon
3 tbsp pomegraneate molasses
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 bay leaves
2 tomatoes, seeds removed and finely chopped
2 tbsp brown sugar
16 pork ribs
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
Place all the ingredients except the ribs into a large bowl and mix well. Add the ribs and leave to marinade over night. Remove the ribs from the marinade and place with a roasting tin with a drizzle of olive oil and bake in a hot oven for 2 hours, the turn the heat down and cook for a further 30 minutes until the ribs are cooked through. Baste often with the marinade whilst cooking. These would be equally good on the BBQ.

4 comments:

Vida said...

Hannah, I know an AGA gives a great slow cook but 20 hours in a HOT oven - come on!?!?! a minor typo no doubt and I am guessing 2 hours is more on the cards... made me giggle anyway... Vida x

Browners said...

What do you mean you don't know how to smoke!!! You did a lavender smoked duck on national television!!!

You should get a home smoker... they are awesome. And really easy.

Hope all's well. These ribs look delicious.

Anonymous said...

ehabumbmu [url=http://ricostrong.net]Rico The Destroyer[/url]

Anonymous said...

vfsfmcrks http://www.free-mass-traffic.net/free-mass-traffic/free-mass-traffic-review Free Mass Traffic