Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Brownie Cookies

For some unexplained reason I have been trying to perfect the ultimate "Brownie" cookie - with all the flavours of a brownie, just a little bit less gooey and a bit more crunch. I think I have just about cracked it! So for any brownie lovers out there, why not give these a try. You can add any additional flavourings or nuts that you like - chunks of caramel chocolate, peanuts, white chocolate chips - the possibilities are endless! They are lovely with a large glass of ice cold milk - my favourite drink of all time!

Makes 18 Baking time 10 - 15 minutes Preparation time 10 minutes

125g cream cheese
170g butter
140g caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
170g plain flour
55g cocoa
150g plain chocolate, chopped
100g walnuts, chopped
30g salted pretzels (optional - its just that I have a thing for pretzels in cookies at the moment!)

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190C/375F and grease two large baking trays. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, cream cheese and caster sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg, vanilla and sift in the flour and cocoa. Mix well until all the flour is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate, walnuts and pretzels (if using). Place 18 tbsp of the mixture on the trays a small distance apart and bake for 10 - 15 minutes until cook and firm to touch. Transfer to a rack to cool. Dust with a little edible glitter for that little extra bling if you wish!

4 comments:

Lucie said...

Oh my, these look divine Hannah. I shall definitely be trying these. Thanks for sharing x

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Love your blog, your brownie cookie looks great, I'll be making it for my nieces, they love chocolate! I'm new to blogging, my friend Susan introduced me to it and I'm having a blast. She also convinced me to start a blog, so I have - it's a work in progress. If you'd like to follow my blog it's http://oceanbreezesandcountrysneezes.blogspot.com/

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hello, I've just converted your measurements to American Measurement Standards - it would be so easy if we all used the same lingo! LOL!!! I'll let you know how they come out! Hopefully I did it correctly!!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site hannahscountrykitchen.blogspot.com
Is this possible?