Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Sunday 13 April 2008

Well I have been in New York less than 48 hours and feel as if my feet have not touched the ground. We have done so much (thanks to my brother acting as an excellent tour guide) and yet I know we have only scratched the tip of the iceberg! This truly is a city where you can get anything that your heart desires. It has reminded me at times of the lands at the top of the Faraway Tree (I was an avid Enid Blyton fan as a girl) with shops that just sell different types of rice pudding (Rice to Riches) and a restaurant which only serves macoroni cheese! I feel as if we have not stopped eating since we got here - we are no longer hungry but are just having to try everything. Delicious breakfast burritos, fluffly pancake stacks with maple syrup, slow cooked pork buns in China town. Today we ate at a wonderful Mexian restaurant where guacamole was made in front of you at the table - I am wondering when this will hit the UK as it is a great idea - followed by delicious beef fillet tacos and sweet potato chips. We have sipped cocktails at a rooftop bar in the meat district (ubercool) over looking the Hudson River, drank Techinis (hard to describe but a tea equivalent of a cappucino that tastes of autumn... nuts, cinnamon, apple and caramel - truely delicious and unique) at Teany (a wonderful teashop owned by muscian Moby) and eaten pumpkin pancakes, not to mention a trip to Dean and Deluca!

4 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, it all sounds so delicious and wonderful! You are one lucky woman!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Wow - sounds fantastic! Particularly like the sound of those Techinis - but the rest sounds (and looks) pretty appealing, too...

Sylvie said...

Reading your post so makes me wanna go again. I was there in December but it seems far too long ago. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Milhan said...

Wow!!, and by the looks of it...you have barely made it any farther than the downtown area (well, the mid-teens), lol...and you've done/seen/eaten so much!! (I'm guessing your brother lives in lower manhattan????) You still have all of mid-town and uptown to conquer - not to mention the 4 other boros :D