Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 4 October 2007


This is the recipe for one of our favourite dishes from the holiday - "Be Celeng Base Manis" - pork in sweet soy sauce. We had it 4 times during our stay and as I liked it so much Penny added the recipe into our cookery course. This recipe serves 4.

2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
4 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2 sticks lemongrass, bashed with a knife handle to release the flavours
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
4 tbsp bumbu (see recipe posted on Monday)
2 tbsp palm sugar or muscavado sugar if you do not have palm sugar
800g pork shoulder diced into small cubes
4tbsp sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
2tbsp soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper
1 litre chicken stock
6 large red chillies, seeds removed and finely sliced (use fewer chillies if you do not want it to be too hot)
Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan or wok. Add the bumbu, shallots, lemon grass and garlic and saute for 2 minutes until lightly coloured. Add the pork and ginger and continue to saute for 5 minutes more. Add the two soy sauces, sugar and some black pepper and cook for 2 - 3 minutes further until the sugar has dissolved. Pour in half the chicken stock and add the chillies and leave to simmer for 1 hour, adding more stock as the liquid reduces and evaporates. You may not need all the stock. When cooked there should be very little sauce and the meat should be shiny and dark brown. Serve with rice.

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

This sounds lovely and spicy. Where do you do your cookery course?