Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Monday 24 September 2007


With our apples harvested in, we are having lots of lovely apply puddings. By far my most favourite apple pudding (if only because it reminds me of my childhood) is baked apples. They are so easy to make and yet so delicious!

I know that many of you will know how to make these already but simply core your cooking apples and slice a thin line around the centre of the apple (just enough to cut the skin) so that the skin does not split during cooking. Fill the apples with anything that takes your fancy, dried fruit, mincemeat, muesli, ginger cake etc. Pour a tbsp of golden syrup or honey over each apple and add a little water to the pan. Bake in a moderate oven for an hour until the apples are light and fluffy. Serve with lashings of custard.

6 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

BAked apples are one of the things I love most about this time of year. Who can resist one with a delicious filling of spicy mincemeat, served up with lashings of cream!!! Deeeeeelicious!

Abitofafoodie said...

I love baked apples and similarly, they take me back to my childhood. I have never tried stuffing with ginger cake though - what a great idea!

David Hall said...

Hi Hannah

I thought you were on your hols? I love baked apples too, one of the first desserts I served Cerys. I like mine cored, filled with sultanas and muscovado sugar and a dot of butter on the top. It makes a fantastic toffee sauce. I'm getting excited just thinking about making some later on!

Cheers
David x

Rita said...

When I lived in Amsterdam, the department store Vroom & Dreesman served wonderful apples wrapped in a thin short crust pastry. The apples were peeled, and slices horizontally, with brown sugar and butter before they were wrapped and baked. They served it with custard. It was so yummy! I made it a few times when I went home to South Africa and my family there loved it. It will go well with a toffee sauce too.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Beautiful photo, Hannah! I've been baking apples here too - absolutely my favorite this time of year. Thanks for the tip of scoring the skin! I never heard that before, and I can't wait to try it out.

Gloria Baker said...

I love apples too Hannah and remember me too my childhood, my Mom made, apples'kuchen, apples'dessert,etc.etc. I love them your photo is so beautiful.Thanks Gloria