Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 13 September 2007

Where are the days going? I know I say this every month when CK arrives but I honestly have never known a year like it for months flying by. It is feeling really autumnal now, despite the warm weather. The nights are drawing in and the leaves have started to turn yellow in our garden. This month's article is on quinces and I am hoping to convert a few of the CK readers to liking my favourite fruit!

Quince Sorbet

55g/20oz caster sugar

150ml water

4 quinces, peeled, cored and chopped

Juice of 1 lemon

2 egg whites

Simmer the sugar and water in a heavy based saucepan, heating gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Leave to cool. At the same time as making the sugar syrup, in a separate pan, simmer the quinces with a little water and the lemon juice until they form a soft puree. Leave to cool. Both the sugar syrup and quince puree must be completely chilled before making the sorbet.

When you are ready to make the sorbet, mix the puree and the sugar syrup. If you have an ice cream machine, pour the quince mixture into the machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When the mixture is almost frozen, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and then pour into the ice cream machine and continue churning. When the mixture is ready, serve immediately or put in a tub and keep in the freezer until you need it. If you are making this without an ice cream machine, place the sugar syrup and puree mix in a tub in the freezer and freeze for approximately three hours until the mixture is slushy, then beat with a whisk to break up the ice crystals and fold in the whisked egg whites. Return to the freezer for a further 4 hours until the sorbet is frozen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love quinces, Hannah, so no need to convert here. My late mother used to line them up on the top of the wall unit or along the tops of cupboards in the kitchen just for their beautiful perfume... I must say they looked very pretty lined up some with a leaf or two intact... I miss those days... V

Marie Rayner said...

We had a quince tree in the back garden when I was a girl. Would love to have one now!

Joanna said...

I love quince, but have never thought of making a sorbet ... I do jams and jellies. The tree is wonderfully pretty, easy to grow, and the flowers are nearly as fragrant as the fruit. When you bring one quince indoors, it fills the whole house with its scent (and I'm transported, Proust-like) to my grandmother's kitchen in Oxford.

Thank you so much for this lovely recipe

Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Have you seen that incredibly long film about a quince tree..its spanish or italian and REALLY REALLY slow.
But you might like it - its all about quinces!

Rita said...

Like Marie, we had a quince tree in our garden too. My mother's quince jam was the best. She also cooked them in a syrup for a treat with custard. I haven't seen a quince in years!