Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 21 March 2007


Here's a quick recipe that I gave to the BBC in response to their request for a "pudding they might not have thought of". It was inspired by the book the Food of Love which talks about stuffed meringues although I have not been able to find a recipe for them. This is my own interpretation - chestnut and pistachio-stuffed meringues: whisk two egg whites to soft peaks and then whisk in 100g/3½oz of caster sugar until the mixture is glossy. Dollop small meringues (approximately 3cm/1.2in diameter) on a greaseproof paper lined tray. Bake at 150C/300F/Gas 2 for an hour until the shells are crisp and the insides are still gooey.
While the meringues are cooking, mix together four tablespoons of unsweetened chestnut purée, 100g/3½oz of ground pistachios, two tablespoons of icing sugar and five finely chopped marrons glaces. Put the mixture into a piping bag and when the meringues are cooked, carefully lift them one at a time from the tray and pipe the nut mixture into the meringue from the underside. They can be eaten hot or cold, with double cream. Lovely!

3 comments:

David Hall said...

dear me, delicious!!! another quality sweety treat Hannah

x

Paula Bowles said...

Hello Hannah
I'm a bit late, but wanted to say 'Congratulations' on reaching the final of masterchef! We loved every minute, and you're all an inspiration. You are very talented!! Goodluck for the future.
(These stuffed meringues sound YUMMY!)
px

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah, many congraualtions..I loved the series and watched it avidly. I have just bought an aga and would love to bake more cakes and bread....why not add aga times and methods to your recipes, could do with some expert advice