Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Brazil Nut Maple Cookies

I have always had a thing for Brazil nuts - the poor man's macadamia. I am sure it stems from receiving boxes of "Just Brazils" from my Grandma every year for my birthday (as well as other lovely presents I hasten to add - wouldn't want you to think that that was the only thing she gave me!) I recently came across some Brazil Nut cookies in a well known supermarket and was really excited to try them but they were so disappointing and didn't satisfy my Brazil nut craving at all - they didn't even taste of Brazil nuts. So here is my own version - with maple, caramel and chocolate for that extra indulgent treat

Preparation time 15 minutes Cooking time 12 - 15 minutes
Makes 18 approx

350g/12oz plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
200g/7oz light brown sugar
½tsp bicarbonate of soda
125g/4½oz butter, softened plus extra for greasing
2tbsp maple
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp caramel sauce (Waitrose Seriously Buttery Caramel Dipping Sauce is dreamy)
200g/7oz Brazil Nuts, chopped
200g/7oz Dark Chocolate, chopped

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F. Grease and line two baking trays. Mix together the flour, salt, caster sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Heat the butter with the syrup until the butter has melted, cool slightly and then stir into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Beat in the egg and caramel sauce and mix well. Add a little extra flour if the mixture is too sticky. Fold in the chopped chocolate and nuts. Divide the dough into 18 small pieces and place on the trays leaving a gap between each as the cookies will spread a little during cooking. Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes until the cookies are golden brown. Leave to cool on the trays for a few minutes then transfer to a rack with a spatula to cool.

5 comments:

Brownieville Girl said...

These Cookies have headed up to the top of my "to try" list. Brazil nuts are so good for you that your cookies could nearly be described as health food!!

Lucie said...

Delicious Hannah, lovely combination of flavours.

Snowy said...

I love Brazil nuts too, Hannah. Used to get a tin of buttered brazils at Christmas.MMMM!
These are certainly on my 'to make' list. Thank you.

Heatherfeather said...

Oh Hannah these look so amazing! I have to try them! I have always loved Brazil nuts.

Joan said...

Oh, I love Brazil nuts too. This recipe is definately on my list to try. Brazil nuts are fairly high in potassium and I eat a lot of them and never feel guilty about it.