Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Sunday 21 December 2008

Our lovely friends, Susan and Peter, came to supper on Saturday evening. Susan used to live in Sweden so kindly made us some traditional Gloegg. Mulled wine - only nicer as it has sultanas and almonds in which you eat with a spoon when you finish your drink (and a lot of alcohol which is always a bonus!). The last time we drank this was during a visit to Tivoli gardens in Copenhagen - a truly magical evening with fairy lights in all the trees, ice skating and sipping glasses of warm wine whilst browsing the winter market. If you look closely you can see my reindeer decorations above the aga!

Susan's Gloegg wine

1 bottle red wine
400ml port
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole cloves
zest of 1 orange
100g/3 1/2 oz caster sugar
100ml rum
100ml brandy
100g/3 1/2 oz sultanas
100g/3 1/2 oz flaked almonds

Place all the ingredients except for the sultanas and almonds in a saucepan and simmer over a gentle heat for 5 - 10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the wine is nice and warm. Place a spoonful of sultanas and flaked almonds in the bottom of each of your serving glasses and ladle over the wine. Serve with a teaspoon so that your guests can eat the soaked fruit and almonds.

Thanks you Susan for the delicious recipe!

No comments: