Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Monday 1 December 2008

I made this cake for a meeting last week - I had not really planned on making a cake so just used what I could lay my hands on - the result was a rather unusual flavour combination, but it worked! Eager to try the cake, a slice was cut before I yelled at everyone to stop cutting as I needed a photo for my blog - I think everyone at work must think I am crazy!

Nectarine and Coconut Cake

Served 6 - 8

Preparation time 30 minutes Cooking time 35 - 45

Serves 8

250ml coconut milk

100g/3 1/2 oz shredded coconut

225g/8oz butter, plus extra for greasing

225g/8oz light brown sugar

4 large eggs, lightly beatenjam

225g/8oz self raising flour, sifted

100g/3 1/2oz plain chocolate, grated

2 ripe nectarines, stones removed and thinly sliced

1 tbsp peach jam

1 tbsp lemon juice

  1. Soak the coconut in the coconut milk for 2 hours until the milk has been absorbed. Grease a 20cm/8in ring tin.

  2. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F. Whisk the butter and sugar together with a mixer or whisk until light and creamy. Add the eggs and whisk again. Add the flour, soaked coconut and grated chocolate and fold in gently to incorporate. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin. Arrange the nectarine slices in a ring on top of the batter and bake for 35 - 45 minutes until the cake is firm to touch and a knife comes out clean with no cake batter onHeat the jam and lemon juice in a pan until the jam has melted and then brush over the warm cake using a pastry brush. Leave to cool in the tin.


5 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

This sounds and looks very good Hannah!! People know to wait until I have taken the photo now! They are so used to me snapping away at food! I think they are actually disappointed if I don't!

Rita said...

Oh... that looks yummy! Thanks Hannah!

Celia Hart said...

I bet your colleagues smile when they know you'll be coming to the meeting! It must make trauling through paragraphs, sub-clauses and footnotes of legalese much more enjoyable ;-)

Celia

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Only your other blogging friends will understand the necessity of needing a photo for our blogs:D

Milhan said...

I have been big on coconut milk lately. I used coconut milk in place of evaporated milk in the pumpkin pie that I made for Thanksgiving this year. It was lovely.

Your cake looks delicious!