Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 19 February 2008

This is definitely NOT the weather for ice cream! However with writing articles in advance, ice cream was on the menu yesterday. The violet passion is continuing - Bree who competed in Masterchef with me last year and who was a fantastic come back kid in this years programme (I know I am biased as she is a friend but I have never seen anyone have such an amazing professional kitchen round - Bree you are destined for great things!) is coming to visit soon and has found some violet lollipops. Violet tea is a permanent fixture in our house - even though it is so hard to find! And the latest addition to the range - Violet ice cream! I have also made this with rose water syrup with the crystallised violets to give the perfect Rose and Violet cream combination! Why not try both (although I will forgive you for waiting until warmer months to do so)

Violet Ice Cream
285ml double cream
285ml semi skimmed milk (or skimmed if you prefer)
150ml violet syrup (available from confisserie florian or by Morin syrups or if like me you find lots of violets you can make your own - a handful of violet petals, 200grams sugar and 200ml of water simmered over a gentle heat until syrupy and then strained)
50grams of crystallised violets

Simmer the cream and milk in a pan over a gentle heat until the mixture has thickened and gone a golden yellow colour. This should take approximately 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the violet syrup which will sweeten the cream. Leave to cool completely. Churn the ice cream in an ice cream maker (or place in a tupperware box in the freezer and whisk every 30 minutes to add air until the mixture is frozen). When the mixture is almost frozen add the crystalised violets which add a nice crunchy texture to the ice cream. I used small ramekins for my icecream, turning them out to serve, drizzled with some violet syrup and some home made crystallised violet flowers.

5 comments:

Milhan said...

I'm so intrigued by your use of violets as flavoring. My only experience with "violets" are these odd little candies that I remember from my childhood. I know they still make them, but I haven't had them in years. Not sure if they really even tasted like violets or not?

Have you ever had these?
http://www.chowardcompany.com

Marie Rayner said...

Mmm...I bet it's gorgeous and fairy like. Somehow I always associate the taste of violets with fairies and ethereal worlds unseen yet all around us. Milhan has me thinking of violet candies now...must go get some. I, too, am not sure if they taste like violets, but like to think that they do. :-)
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Rita said...

It is soooo misty out there today - a bit difficult to imagine to have ice cream on a plate, but it looks so pretty I must try it sometime. Thanks again Hannah!

Anonymous said...

I love Parma Violets, can you find creative ways of using these?

violets said...

Hi Hannah

Your blog is lovely, its great to find someone else who is obsessed about floral cooking as I am.

This recipe looks great.


Vi xx