Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 15 October 2009

For Joshua's birthday I made Panda cookies - Josh loves Pandas. The clever design for these I found on the internet made by ruthiesaurus - click here for a link. Isn't it a clever design she came up with? I did what she said and re-moulded an old cookie cutter by heating it on the Aga and then bashing with my rolling pin - feeling very much like a blacksmith as I did it. I used 500g of fondant icing sugar to cover the 12 biscuits that my shortbread dough made. Place all the cookies on a cooling rack with a sheet of greaseproof paper or foil below to catch the drips and carefully spoon over the icing. Add a few tbsp of water to the icing - you need it to be fairly runny but not too runny - so that it leaves a good coating on the cookie and doesn't all run off. Allow to dry completely, then colour the leftover icing with black food colouring and carefully spoon a little over each of the ears. Place the rest of the icing in a piping bag with a small round nozzle and pipe eyes and noses. Leave to set overnight. I think next time I make them I will use royal icing as Ruthie suggests as hers had a nice fur effect with the royal icing. Anyway Joshie and Rosie loved them so mission accomplished. We gave Josh this adorable Panda kite as a present (can you tell I want one for myself?).

1 comment:

The Curious Cat said...

Very cute and clever! xxx